Monday, June 21, 2010

it's all about the basics



when i'm working on something complex and intricate i always find it useful to go back to the basics of shape, large forms and light direction. i'll start with shape and really be concoious of design and sihloutte. then what are the main forms and how will light react to them. once that is set in my mind i can add detail but it's always subordinate to the larger ideas. the more i make art the more i discover it's not about which brushes or which trick or technique. it's about the foundation of art. drawing, observation, color...those things

7 Comments:

Blogger Campbell Crawford said...

awesome stuff, cheers for the reminder, can never get enough reminding of the basics of good art principles :3

2:18 PM  
Blogger GWhitehall said...

Great work. I crave more posts like these, thanks for the wisdom!

10:05 PM  
Blogger A.R.T. aka Autumn Rain said...

As always I greatly appreciate your insights Robh.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Tommy Scott said...

AMEN!!! I sometimes run into roadblocks where I feel it's about the brushes, until I hit myself in the head and remember the basics. I personally love to put emphasis on Shape and Value. =)

5:58 PM  
Blogger jbachdesign said...

Wow Robh. You are so thoroughly the man. Thank you for the lesson.

1:16 AM  
Blogger caitlinwc said...

great tips!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Stephan Royer said...

I really appreciate your focus and craftsmanship. What you've said here is so encouraging and even though hundreds of sites say it over and over, to see you say its about the basics just encourages me. Your work is so amazing, and to hear that phrase associated with your stuff is a real gem. Thanks, amazing eye!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter